Thursday, March 25, 2010

Want to have an exciting get together in Ohio in the fall?!?

Hi Heritage Hunters and Scrappers!!! Family historians and adventurers too!!

In the Heritage Hunters chat we've been tossing around a few ideas of having a crop/get-together sometime in the fall here in Vacationland, Ohio! This would cover just about everybody with every kind of interest!


First let me also say that Frannie, a full-time RVer and avid genealogist that some of you have met in a few chats, has told us of a big gathering of her genealogist friends at the Allen County Public Library in Fort Wayne, Indiana. They will be camping at the Allen County Fairgrounds from Sunday, September 19 to Sunday, September 26. I have to get more details from her, but as it sounds now they must have some sort of presentations and meetings planned. As soon as I get those details, I will pass them along to everyone so you can make your plans. My sister Terri aka chaseweather and her friend Brenda aka beewells both live fairly near to Fort Wayne so they will be attending many of the programs I'm sure. I plan to take vacation that week and stay with Terri (can I, please??) so that I can attend most events and do lots of research on my family history. We can spend lots of chats preparing for this major adventure in the weeks leading up to it so that we are all ready when we hit the big time! Many people are totally overwhelmed when they first visit Allen County Public Library and therefore, miss out on many resources available. I know I sure was! So, while you keep all of that in mind, consider this ......

We were thinking of getting together here in Ohio where it's kind of central to a lot of members and friends. It's right on the lake about half way between Toledo and Cleveland, a little closer to Toledo. My friend, Lorrae - my little Jake's Mom, manages a very nice family resort here in Port Clinton where we will be gathering. There are timeshare cottages, a hotel, and a campground at the resort, along with the rec center with meeting rooms, snack bar and indoor swimming pool with jacuzzi!! I'm sure she would give us a special deal on our weekend!

 My son's graduation party in the Poolside Room

We could meet to meet each other (! LOL !) and to scrap, research, or whatever else sounds interesting! There are many historical places of interest nearby including another excellent genealogy intense library at the Rutherford B. Hayes Presidential Center. I used to be a part-time curator at our little town historical museum so I have many contacts in the area. One lady does fireside cooking demonstrations and there are a few speakers I could round up for various presentations and such.

And, not to forget the hubbys and kids, there are many, many family activities available at the resort and in the area. We are right on the lake for the fishermen - many walk on fishing boats. Wineries are everywhere!  Restaurants, museums, history, shopping, attractions, and fun every where you look!  The Lake Erie Islands have lots to offer and so on and so on! So you could pack up the whole family (Vicki!!) and have a mini-vacation!

Now we just need to find a weekend!! I was thinking October or November if we can dodge all the holidays and vacations! Victorian Rose Vicki will be on vacation over the weekend of Columbus Day (October 9-11) and we can't do Halloween weekend (October 30-31) or Thanksgiving (November 25-28). That leaves about 2 weekends in October and a couple in November. I was actually looking at the long Veteran's Day weekend, November 11-14. Many of you may be off work or school for some of that time and some of us will be able to do the whole four days. Our local American Legion and VFW will have Veteran ceremonies that we can attend to pay tribute to our veterans and troops, and then we can take it from there!

So, let's use this thread to toss around dates and ideas for places to visit or presentations/meetings/whatever that you want to get set-up. Just throw in any ideas that you have and especially if you can attend or not so I can start getting some numbers and things around.

Hope everyone can attend and bring hubbys, families and friends!!! This could be really cool!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment