Saturday, August 8, 2009

Another Meaning of *Heritage Hunting*

Hello Heritage Hunters!!

When we first started Heritage Hunting at Heritage Scrap, we talked about different meanings of *Heritage*. Of course there were at least as many different meanings as there were Hunters in the discussion! It means something different to each person. But as I was looking at photos posted by my Friends on Facebook, I found another meaning of *Heritage* as seen through the eyes of my good friend Bonna Kelley, aka Wuvie at DSP.

Wuvie has an incredible imagination! Some of her layouts at DSP have left me awe-stricken that anyone could even conceive of such wonderful and beautiful things. She has always been an inspiration to me. This layout that she posted on Facebook just grabbed me and said *Look here! This is what is happening in our society NOW! This is tomorrow's heritage!* What do you think??


When I read her journaling, I felt like I was reading about my own life! I love to read and I think it started with my mother reading to us each late afternoon while we were waiting for Dad to get home from work. Supper was usually simmering on the stove so the house was filled with scrumptious smells; we were all sitting close together on the couch by Mom being very quiet and listening to her beautiful voice inflections telling us some amazing story. It was heaven on earth to me as a young child. The Bobsey Twins, Black Beauty, The Night Before Christmas, and so many of my life-long favorites were shared back then.

Both of my parents have always been voracious readers also. I've read since then that reading as your own hobby in front of your children is one of the best ways to help them acquire their own love for reading. When I saw my parents reading every evening or saw books laying near their bed or their chairs, I always wondered what adventures I was missing! As I got older, I read ALL the time! I couldn't get enough of it! By the time I was an adult, I was reading for pleasure at least an hour or two each day. I had lists of books I wanted to read and kept it handy for when I went to the library. Later, when I had a ceramic shop with my folks and we would work all day, every day making products to keep the shop full, we would listen to books on tape instead of the radio while we worked. That continued for me after I was married and had an hour commute each way every day. Why waste time listening to commercials on the radio when you could listen to a good book!

Now it has all changed again! I read so much each day on the internet that I barely have time to hold a book in my hands and read for pleasure! If I'm not reading emails, blogs, or forums, I'm scanning over something it seems. When I finally get down to scrapping, I again turn to audio books or books on CDs. I am never very far from a good tale!

This next layout Wuvie has so generously agreed to share with us, is what I call *Future Heritage*. One day her son's children and grandchildren will be so thrilled to see this! My own kids just love to hear stories of when my husband and I were their age - the things we did, the things we learned in school, all about our aunts and uncles, and so forth. We should all keep heritage for future generations in mind while we plan our layouts. Isn't this layout so sweet?!?


Take a look at Wuvie's gallery at DSP - it is full of truly inspirational layouts. I'm sure you will love it! And thanks so much Bonna, for sharing your amazing talent with us!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment