Friday, June 26, 2009

Another Internet Research Tip

I forgot to mention a really handy internet tool - the list of links GROUPS!

I am in a few groups and on mailing lists that do nothing but collect hot, new links in the fields of history, genealogy, and heritage! These come right to my inbox each day. Maybe a lot of people don't like them because they contain a lot of stuff not pertinent to everyone, but every once in a while you find something ginormous!!

That's how I found out about the new pilot site at LDS where you can get FREE Ohio death certificate images. That was a HUGE one for me! Also found this today - I don't have any West Virginia Civil War ancestors that I know about right now - but this could be a gold mine for some people:

Today at FreeSurnameSearch.com

* Featured Database :

- Unclaimed Civil War Medals.
In 1866, the state of West Virginia authorized the
minting of over 26,000 medals to honor its Union Civil
War soldiers. Today, over 4,000 medals remain unclaimed.
In order to claim an ancestor's medal, a claimant must
submit his or her line of descent from the veteran along
with documentation to support this line of descent.

Go to:
FreeSurnameSearch
or
West Virginia Civil War Medals

Some of the groups/mailing lists I'm on - although there are tons more! - are:
Candyman Genealogy List
Surname Search Daily

There are plenty of others too! Just go to your favorite *group* site, Yahoo, Google, MSN, etc., and search for genealogy, history, ancestors, or some such term. Most are free and fun!

0 comments:

Post a Comment